[aklug] Re: A developer's take on system resource consumption

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Tue Jun 14 2011 - 08:54:59 AKDT

On 06/11/2011 11:05 AM, Arthur Corliss wrote:
> So, let's start a movement to cripple developers with old machines! Who's
> with me? ... Well, I suppose I should have seen that one coming... ;-)

I couldn't agree more. I am one of those developers and I've gotten a LOT out of it.
When I talk to other developers who appear to run by the book for most of their code and I
end up mentioning slower machines or limited resources or spanning hosts and making things
scalable.. They sorta look at me funny. I feel odd for a moment until I realize my budget
lifestyle has given me a very different perspective on things.