[aklug] Re: The info on google.com/linux

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Sat Jun 11 2011 - 07:49:25 AKDT

On 06/10/2011 10:56 PM, Greg Madden wrote:

> On Thursday 09 June 2011 11:59:30 am Bruce Hill wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 09:17:49AM -0800, Erinn Looney-Triggs wrote:
>>> Here is the scoop for those who had been wondering where it went:
>>> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/229774/say_goodbye_to_googl
>>> e_search_portals_for_linux_mac_and_more.html
>>>
>>> In short custom portals were decommissioned because search quality of
>>> the regular portal is so great now (whether I buy that or not I don't
>>> know).
>>>
>>> -Erinn
>>
>> As one who regularly compared the results of Google <Linux> searches vs.
>> Google and ixquick, even up to last week the Google <Linux> searches were
>> no less than the others in terms of accurate hits. In fact, Google <Linux>
>> searches were better, because they eliminated all useless hits from the
>> search.
>>
>> We take the lead in eliminating all *Google* from our personal comps, from
>> our new shop, from all present and future customer's comps.
>>
>> We have been using ixquick for the superior privacy vs. Google (and all
>> others) for some time now. Today it got selected as the default search
>> engine. Will it matter to Google that we've done this? Not in and of
>> ourselves; but if enough other people show their distaste with Google not
>> providing that service anymore, it might make a difference somewhere.
>>
>> Just my 2c
>>
>> Bruce
>
> Thanks for the tip, IXQ.
>
> I switched, not to BASH the new overlords at Google, but replacing one false god
> with another is not my cup of tea ;-)
>
> ooops, I have been watching all 220 episodes of Stargate SG-1 on Hulu.com

Be aware that the Ixquick Firefox plug-in they provide is proprietary:

"The Ixquick Search Applications are made available to you for your
non-commercial use only. This means that you may use it at work or at
home, to search for anything you want. But you first need to obtain
Ixquick's permission if you want to sell the Ixquick Toolbar, Deskbar or
browser plug-in or any information, services, or software associated
with or derived from it, or if you want to modify, copy (except as
provided below), license, or create derivative works from the Ixquick
Search Applications[...]You acknowledge that Ixquick or third parties
own all rights, title and interest in and to the Ixquick Search
Applications, portions thereof, or software provided through or in
conjunction with the Ixquick Search Applications, including without
limitation all Intellectual Property Rights. "Intellectual Property
Rights" means any and all rights existing from time to time under patent
law, copyright law, trade secret law, trademark law, unfair competition
law, and any and all other proprietary rights, and any and all
applications, renewals, extensions and restorations thereof, now or
hereafter in force and effect worldwide. You agree not to modify, adapt,
translate, prepare derivative works from, decompile, reverse engineer,
disassemble or otherwise attempt to derive source code from the Ixquick
Search Applications. You also agree to not remove, obscure, or alter
Ixquick's or any third party's copyright notice, trademarks, or other
proprietary rights notices affixed to or contained within or accessed in
conjunction with or through the Ixquick Search Applications."

--
frigidcode.com
theologia.indicium.us