[aklug] Re: Programming within the type system

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Thu Jun 02 2011 - 11:50:06 AKDT

* Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com> [110601 21:00]:
> Intriguing old article I'm going through:
>
> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/User:ConradParker/InstantInsanity
>
> (Select the PDF link, and then it is the second article.)
>
> It's an article meant to demonstrate the value and usefulness of the
> Haskell type system by showing how to write a program completely within
> the type system! That is to say, no actual values or data, per se, just
> defining types (atomic, polymorphic, etc.) and interfaces and the
> relationships between them. It is a moderately-sized program that solves
> a certain puzzle involving multi-colored blocks. But all the actual
> calculations happen during the compile stage.
>
> Anyway, the reading itself might be someone tedious if you are not
> familiar with Haskell, but I thought you might find the concept
> interesting. In my own youthful opinion, it seems like traditional
> programming has focused too much on "what to do with data", rather than
> assigning meaning to the data and defining the relationships between
> them. So the article has been quite intriguing so far.
  I've developed my own MVC system. The heart of it is a module with
  a series of python dictionaries that are normalized somewhat as a
  database would be normalized. IMHO: Relationships between data
  is under-used.
> BTW, if you are wondering if I have any new projects to show off my
> newly acquired functional programming zeal, I must confess that I do
> not. It seems like each time I start to make progress, I learn something
> totally new and cool about Haskell, which makes me want to rewrite all
> my code. :D However, I am working on a web app which I believe will
> prove interesting. Although, I must confess, I cannot be sure I will
> finish it before I give in to my urge to learn Prolog, and become
> totally engrossed in that.
  You might want to check out
  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=little+schemer&x=0&y=0

  I'm not trying to lure you away from prolog, heaven forbid I
  should come between a man and his muse, but the 'Reasoned Schemer'
  touches on some of this. And do remember: in parenthesized
  programming languages - the interchangeability of code and data is
  second nature.

  cheers
> --
> frigidcode.com
> theologia.indicium.us

Tim
tim at johnsons-web dot com or akwebsoft dot com
http://www.akwebsoft.com