[aklug] Re: Bind/DNS TTL override

From: R Denison <gaijin@gci.net>
Date: Sun May 22 2011 - 23:12:36 AKDT

n 05/21/2011 05:40 PM, bryanm@acsalaska.net wrote:
> On Sat, May 21, 2011 2:35 am, Scott A. Johnson wrote:
>> I'm running a local recursive Bind server on my LAN to help speed up
>> repetitive DNS lookups due to a high latency satellite connection. The
>> thought process being for every DNS record I can look up locally from a
>> previously cached copy, that shaves 600ms+ off my load times. The problem
>> is that so many sites these days use really low TTL in their DNS records for
>> load balancing, almost making the local DNS server useless. The fact I may
>> have unintended consequences by overriding their TTL notwithstanding, can I
>> somehow override the TTL given to Bind for domains/zones to a higher value?
>> I've done some Google searches but can't find too many/any people looking
>> to do the same thing. I'm not married to Bind either, so if I can do this
>> through another caching/recursive DNS daemon I'm fine with that too.

ISTR it's possible with Bind, but Google is not forthcoming. However,
Unbound has this capability:

  cache-min-ttl

Unbound is different than bind, but I've had reasonable success with it
and a lack of "D'oh!" moments while using it. We'll guess that you're
aware of the potential consequences (WTF is wrong with $X?!?!?!?) but
could probably come up with a "God kills a kitten every time you do $Y"
if you want. :-D

R.