[aklug] Re: Putting Linux on a resume for an entry level job

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Tue May 10 2011 - 16:31:49 AKDT

* William Morita <wamorita@gmail.com> [110510 16:02]:
> Tim,
 Whoa there partner, I'm not the OP.
 Wrong target!

> Unfortunately technical buzz words are necessary, as are any certs if you
> have them.
> You have to remember that before a hiring manager sees your resume it is
> "filtered' either mechanically or by an non-technical HR person (or both)
> that have a checklist of "must have's" to get passed through.
  I know all of that .... I used the State Register as an example
  and that is pretty much how it works.

> Regarding Linux, you might look at getting a first level Linux Professional
> Institute (LPI) certification, though I suggest that you study before taking
> the exams.

> Techies, as a rule, tend not to be eloquent. Joining Toastmasters can help
> with this and can be listed on your resume.
>
> At your stage in your career, your resume should only be a page long.
   ???? Who are you speaking too? Again I am not the OP. I'm not the
   one interested in putting in a resume!
   I've been a programmer for 24 years, free-lancing under my own
   biz license for 22 years... You are speaking to the wrong person.

--
Tim
tim at johnsons-web dot com or akwebsoft dot com