[aklug] Open Wifi Networks

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun May 01 2011 - 13:57:38 AKDT

In read a recent security site that I frequent, there was a link to
this story:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/26/open_wifi_networks/

The security site suggested this as proof that you should ensure you
put WPA security on your wireless devices.

I'm not sure I completely agree with this viewpoint, except for the
issue that there is no longer the ability to have unlimited downloading.

It is obvious that having an open access point might expose you to
liability, but if that is the case, why wouldn't ISP's be liable as
well?

Either way you come down on this particular issue, it is an
interesting discussion.

What options are available to promote open wireless networks, while
limiting liability for the "good Samaritan" that believes this is right?

Mike B.