[aklug] Re: Any MongoDB peeps on this list?

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Thu Apr 28 2011 - 11:20:12 AKDT

* Shane R. Spencer <shane@bogomip.com> [110428 10:40]:
> See.. I'm unorganized about this. But I'm very interested in what other people have to
> say. Using LIMIT with an OFFSET isn't really an option since it requires scanning from
> the first result on.. that can be a little crazy with a few million rows. Instead I'm
> hoping to see some ideas that use multi-column indexing like I've been using and querying
> from the last row (via the column information) on.

  Shane, I am laboring over a hot keyboard right now and don't have
  a lot of time to respond, but what you say above doesn't seem
  quite right. If you have good indexing set, the OFFSET clause
  should *not* necessitate scanning the entire table. There was a
  time when I build DBMSs from scratch and my indexing/offset
  routines certainly did not operate like that and since the
  developer of MySQL (and I presume MongoDB) are light years ahead
  of me, I am sure that the same applies.

--
Tim
tim at johnsons-web dot com or akwebsoft dot com