[aklug] Re: Passwords - The Conventional Wisdom

From: Bruce Hill <bruce@slackwarebox.com>
Date: Mon Apr 25 2011 - 20:06:27 AKDT

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 08:00:02PM -0800, Christopher Howard wrote:
> An interesting link from the linuxsecurity bulletin:
>
> http://www.baekdal.com/tips/password-security-usability
>
> The author brings up the issue of "password complexity" and "password
> security" to point out that they really aren't the same thing. He throws
> out a few statistics to show that in some cases, a long but easy to
> remember password can be more secure than a shorter password with a
> complex character set. He also suggests that a long, easy to remember
> password (with simple characters and dictionary words allowed) might be
> better than a complex password (with all the usual restrictions) because
> the easier to remember password won't get written down on a sticky note
> and pasted on the computer monitor.
>
> Some interesting thoughts.

One of the interesting uses we found for Pinyin is making long and very
efficient passwords which don't use words in an English dictionary, do use
symbols, and are easily remembered. Ex:

wo3ai4Zhu3Ye1su1Ji1du1032459

28 letters and numbers, no English words, very easy to remember...

Bruce

--
May the Lamb that was slain receive the reward of His suffering!
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the