[aklug] Re: Haskell Poll

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Sat Apr 23 2011 - 15:17:18 AKDT

* Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com> [110423 09:49]:
> Are there any Haskell programmers on this list? If so, could you rate
> yourself:
>
> 1) Learned it once (say, for a class) but never used it seriously.
> 2) Used to program with it regularly but don't anymore.
> 3) Program with it regularly.
>
> It would be helpful and interesting for me to know who on this list has
> a background in Haskell.
 :) I *looked* at it. I looked at it seriously, but also looked at
 http://www.langpop.com/ and having worked for years with rebol,
 which doesn't even show up there and is an *awsome* programming
 language that runs rings around everything else that I have ever
 used in terms of byte-for-byte productivity, I did not pursue it.

 I note that haskell is way up there under the heading:
 "What languages are people talking about?"
 and this is an illustration of the freelance programmers
 'Delimma of the Pragmatics'
 which is to ask oneself: "Do I want to use what I like and think is
 really good? And do I want to use what is in demand?"

 Here's a real-world example. I do a lot of coding for the Real
 Estate market. I do it in python (having discontinued rebol because
 of its lack of "demand"). The most "demanded" language among the
 Real Estate Community is PHP. Yuck! But the demand is there!

 But I'm not trying to discourage you... :) keep doin' what you do.
 The hell with 'em.

--
Tim
tim at johnsons-web dot com or akwebsoft dot com