[aklug] Re: Google and Apple are gathering location information

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Fri Apr 22 2011 - 08:58:14 AKDT

I'd say, ideally, it would go to a clearing house where providers can attempt to provide
service into certain areas... but that's sort of flawed since nothing is sent if there is
no service. I have no idea if it sends an RF quality measurement along with it.

I don't believe my android stores location information until it is deliverable. I know
that with the advent of the APNS every iPhone has Tron style user uplink to Apple HQ..
Android has C2DM now.. which is very similar. This is an encrypted link to protect you,
but it can just as easily protect data leaving your phone unless you're scanning memory or
using a socket wrapper to get down and dirty.

- Shane