[aklug] Re: xmonad

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Tue Apr 19 2011 - 23:58:03 AKDT

On 04/19/2011 08:22 PM, Jim wrote:
> Hi Chris
>
> Can you outline or point me to the procedure to integrate xmonad with gnome?
>
> Thanks

All options and details are at
<http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Using_xmonad_in_Gnome>, but
basically just do the following:

1. Create the file /usr/share/applications/xmonad.desktop with the
following content:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Xmonad
Exec=xmonad
NoDisplay=true
X-GNOME-WMName=Xmonad
X-GNOME-Autostart-Phase=WindowManager
X-GNOME-Provides=windowmanager
X-GNOME-Autostart-Notify=false

2. Run the following command (from within your regular Gnome session):

gconftool-2 -s /desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager
xmonad --type string

3. Log out to get back to GDM, then log back in to a standard Gnome
session (not the separate Xmonad one). You'll have Gnome plus a tiling
windows manager. (At least, it worked on two of my Gentoo PCs. :-) If
you're having issues with multiple monitors, that's another issue we can
discuss, but it probably means you aren't using Xinerama or you haven't
built Xinerama awareness into all the software that needs it.

Side note (for progeny): Another reason to integrate Gnome and Xmonad is
to get Gnome's Unicode integration (i.e., the ability to use
CTRL-shift-u + HEXVAL to produce Unicode -- very handy).

ΑΒΓΔΕ...ΥΦΧΨΩ

--
frigidcode.com
theologia.indicium.us