[aklug] Re: Xmonad (again) / Functional Programming

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Mon Apr 18 2011 - 10:18:39 AKDT

On Monday 18 April 2011, Tim Johnson elucidated thus:
> * Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com> [110417
23:39]:
> > On 04/17/2011 07:18 PM, Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
> > > On Friday 15 April 2011, Christopher Howard elucidated thus:
> > >
> > > Here's my take on OO/functional/procdural from few years back.
> > > My views haven't changed much, if any.
> > >
> > > http://jjncj.com/blog/archives/127-Objects-have-failed...maybe...
> > >kind-of.html
>
> And I quote from that:
> """
> Objects have "failed" in that they've tried to be the be-all,
> end-all solution to all problems, while not being powerful enough
> to be the be-all, end-al
> """
> You don't need the be-all, end-all to deliver the product. The
> results are what count. I use objects in python only when
> I deem them necessary.

Exactly. Objects are great tools, and they make some things easier.
It's when someone wants to use Objects in a way that reminds you
of "When all you have is a hammer..." that you start to get into
trouble. Java, for example? EVERYTHING must be an object, even in
places when you don't really need an object, like your main program
invocation. Disclaimer: not trying to start a flame war, I don't even
use Java. That's just one of the things about Java that struck me as
odd.

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com - Fairbanks, AK