[aklug] Re: xmonad

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Wed Apr 13 2011 - 09:22:22 AKDT

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011, Jim Gribbin wrote:

> I did start out with Windows 1.0 on a 8086. I thought I remembered
> having choices of a single window dominating the desktop, or multiple
> windows tiled. I don't recall being able to drag windows around the way
> we do now. Maybe the desktop was so small and cramped that I just didn't
> find dragging them around to be practical.

I've never used Windows 1.0, but ye old wikipedia says that it didn't
support overlapping windows due to a legal threat from Apple. They claim
that that made Windows 1.0 a "rudimentary" tiling wm. Ironically, though,
the screenshot still shows window decorations, etc, so that would infer that
it still allowed arbitrary window placement and sizing, as long as the
windows didn't overlap. Which makes it sound like a classic overlapping
window metaphor that was legally crippled.

We'd probably be splitting hairs at this point, but I still don't think that
meets the full definition of a tiling wm. I'm willing to agree to disagree
on v1.0.

> Thinking back, that thing started out w/ one of those mono-chromatic
> orange screens compaq used to be known for. 720 x (something or other)?

It says that it supported CGA/Hercules/EGA, with Hercules having the highest
resolution of 720x348. I've had CGA & EGA before, even TGA (Tandy's
"enhanced" CGA), but never had a Hercules.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die