[aklug] Re: multiple distros coordinate to establish /run directory

From: Greg Madden <gomadtroll@gci.net>
Date: Mon Apr 11 2011 - 00:06:11 AKDT

On Wednesday 06 April 2011 11:17:58 pm Greg Madden wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 April 2011 10:08:56 pm Jim Gribbin wrote:
> > I think it's likely that I've never gotten my mind around how one can
> > have a "Window Manager" and not have a "Desktop Environment".
> >
> > I have, for instance, Enlightenment & Gnome installed. When I log in, I
> > have the choices of Enlightenment w/ or wo/ Gnome. I have tried it both
> > ways and can't see the difference.
> >
> > Jim G
>
> One example, Windowmaker is a WM, insert a cdrom or usb key and nothing
> happens. In Gnome inserting media brings up a dialog box asking you what
> you want to do, or mounts it . More automagic stuff (tech term) in a DE.
>
> Manual transmission vs an autoglide :-)

Better explanationfrom Debians wiki site:

Introduction

To understand what Openbox actually is, it's important to know the difference
between a window manager and a desktop environment.

A window manager is the program which draws on your screen the "box" in which the
program is run. A window manager controls how your program window works, looks
and acts. It decides what window decorations to use and gives you a way to move
the windows, hide them, resize them, minimize them and close them. It controls
what buttons you push to do those things, and what keys you press to make those
things happen.

On the other hand, a desktop environment minds the entire desktop. It provides a
taskbar, a system tray, a login manager, additional menus or perhaps screensavers
and desktop icons. It might include a file manager, a text editor or some other
accessory programs, too.

Openbox is a window manager, not a desktop environment. Openbox is only
responsible for maintaining the windows you open on your screen -- nothing else.
That means installing Openbox won't give you easy menu access to wallpaper
options, a taskbar or system panel, or most of those other doo-dads. It does,
however, give you a framework to incorporate other programs that do those
things -- and usually with a greater degree of freedom over the style and
interface.

Openbox can be used alone, without a desktop environment, or it can be used to
replace the window manager in a complete desktop environment. Either way is
acceptable.

--
Peace,
Greg