[aklug] Re: tar overwriting

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Sun Apr 10 2011 - 15:30:03 AKDT

On 04/10/2011 02:50 PM, Arthur Corliss wrote:
> I misunderstood your question, then. I thought you were concerned that
> restores wouldn't use the permissions from the time of the backup. That
> said, I don't know of any way to do that on an arbitrary per-file basis.
> You could use some shell one-liners to do record previous perms and reset
> the newly restored files. In a nutshell, however, what you're asking for
> is an unintended and unanticipated use for tar. Typically, when you
> restore, you either restore the content, or the content & meta data. Not
> content mutated by existing meta data.

I got the impression from my research that tar couldn't be made by
itself to produce that particular functionality (by itself) but I didn't
think it would hurt to double check with you shell gurus. Some of the
language in the man/info pages was a bit hard to understand.

Something new I did learn yesterday, though: I noticed that tar allows
you to pass in a "sed" command to mangle archive entry names before
writing them to disk.

--
frigidcode.com
theologia.indicium.us