[aklug] Not too happy with Gigabyte right now

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Fri Apr 08 2011 - 22:59:31 AKDT

Okay, so I bought a brand-new Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H motherboard on the
premise that I could do USB boot. And right there in the BIOS is a
USB-HDD boot option... so I should be good to go.

So, I get my USB stick (a.k.a. flash drive) that boots into Linux using
syslinux, which I /know/ works fine on two of my other (older) PCs. But
I stick it into the new PC with the Gigabyte board and it doesn't even
get as far as loading the kernel.

Did some googling, and discovered this, as freaky as it sounds:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/237445-30-boot-external

Apparently, according to the last post in this thread, the USB-HDD boot
option /doesn't/ work on Gigabyte boards unless (get this) the USB stick
was formatted /under Windows/. Quote from the above-referenced thread:

"Based on the testing I did tonight I'm fairly sure that the problem and
the solution are one in the same. Award must be using a Microsoft
provided MBR driver, or mounting system of some sort. So long as you
work with in that system your fine (by formating your sticks using
Windows). As soon as you step outside that box (with a new stick that
was formated via a UNIX or Linux system) your screwed."

(See the last post in the thread for more details on his testing.)

--
frigidcode.com
theologia.indicium.us