[aklug] Re: Pxe dhcp

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Tue Mar 22 2011 - 10:14:03 AKDT

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011, Christopher Howard wrote:

> I need to setup a linux based pxe boot server, so i am studying the pxe spec doc. Unclear on one point: do pxe extended dhcp and regular dhcp use the same ports? I can run a pxe boot server on network that already has a regular dhcp server, right?

PXE is just an extended network bootloader, there's really no such thing as
a "PXE boot server". In a nutshell you're just going to run a DHCP server
with bootp support, and the file you tell the client to download is the PXE
boot loader, which is hosted on your tftp server. So, you're going to use
existing DHCP/bootp/tftp infrastructure to boot PXE clients in addition to
all your other bootp clients. This will have no impact on the normal
functioning of your DHCP clients, etc.

You can have a dedicated static bootp server in addition to a standard DHCP
server, but depending on the quality of your network ROM you can run into
problems. Make sure you disable bootp entirely on your DHCP server if you
do so.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die