[aklug] Re: Windows question ... geez, sorry :(

From: Bruce Hill <bruce@slackwarebox.com>
Date: Mon Mar 21 2011 - 18:17:42 AKDT

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 06:20:00PM -0700, Kurt Brendgard wrote:
> /snip/
> Someone suggested reinstalling. I wrote this list to check if anyone knew th=
> is error so that I could FIX the problem, rather than re-installing. Shucks,=
> anyone can do that. But learning the problem and fixing it saves all that r=
> e-install, re-patch, etc time. Plus, I'm in life to learn. ;)
> /snip/
>
> There is some wisdom in re installing it fresh. The way I related it to my customers when I was at AK Used PC was to ask them what would happen if they caught the Ebola virus, and survived by some major miracle. Would their body go back to being 100%, the way it was before the virus, or would there be some lingering damage done by the virus even after it was gone? There would still be some lingering damage naturally. Same thing for Windowz. You can "clean" it off, and patch all you want, but there usually is always some lingering damage done that you never quite catch, especially if there were multiple infections. Your customer will tend to have anomalous problems that can't be tracked down, and never be perfectly happy with the job. Better to wipe it clean and start fresh, so that they have the highest opinion of you possible. Not what peeps want to know, I know, but that's how business goes at times.
>
> As to why the KB may not be working, it sounds like it is a USB KB. I have had quirks from USB devices like that, where the system ignores the USB input when loaded up. This has manifested itself also in USB mice, DVD players, USB hard drives, etc. FaceBook is a heavy site on the system at times. It tries to display video, ads, run JavaScripts(including trying to install more malware), Flash, etc. It may be that the system is merely loaded to the point where the KB is ignored for a few microseconds on an intermitent basis while accessing the FB log in page. Assuming its a USB KB of course. Its only one of the reasons I do not like USB devices lol.
>
> It could also be that there is still more malware that has not made it into the definitions package yet, and some of that does quirky things.

You have touched on one of the reasons for my extreme dislike of Windows
operating systems (oxymoron at best). Comparing Windows to Ebola is one of
the best anaolgies to date.

It's a laptop -- not sure if the kbd is on the PCI or USB bus.

I did a system recovery (my first ever) just to see how well that will
work. I don't have the stomach for installing software which the customer
does not have, and does not want to purchase.

All power to the penguins!

Bruce

--
May the Lamb that was slain receive the reward of His suffering!
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the