[aklug] Re: Low energy linux box

From: Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
Date: Wed Mar 09 2011 - 05:39:29 AKST

David J. Weller-Fahy said, on 03/07/2011 09:27 PM:
> * Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com> [2011-03-07 15:02 -0800]:
>> It was a particular brand mentioned on list... cant find through

> Hrm... were you talking about http://www.pcengines.ch/ or
> http://www.soekris.com/ or any of the boxes at http://www.mini-itx.com/?

Yeah, the PC Engines ALIX boards are ones that I was talking about a
while back - love mine. I bought a kit with board, enclosure, flash and
power from these guys:

http://store.netgate.com/ALIX-Kits-C86.aspx

... for $187. Seems like a lot nowadays, but they are well worth it,
IMO. Very small. The ALIX boards are well supported with multiple
flavors of Linux as well as the BSDs. Mine has three NICs, great for
LAN/WAN/DMZ, but you can get one with fewer NICs. Mine also has serial
console.

As Sean said, I'm a Qube and Interjet fan, but there's just not enough
oomph in an Internet for what most people want to do; and while the
later Qubes are faster and can take more RAM, they're probably too bulky
for your purposes.

Royce