[aklug] Re: Low energy linux box

From: adam bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Mon Mar 07 2011 - 13:29:46 AKST

Well, I'm finally going to break this out:

http://www.glaven.org/googleit.jpg [1]

But, in the interest of being helpful:

It depends on what you mean by 'low power'. They have wall-wart style
systems that could possibly be a web server; not sure what the wattage is.

I bought a Via Artigo A2000 a while back: http://tinyurl.com/93gdda .

Via C7, 1.5 GHz processor, I put in 2GB of RAM, and some large HDDs
(fits up to two, 2TB HDDs). It also has a slot for a Compact Flash
drive (which is pokey, so don't boot from those).

I think the power brick is 65 watts, maybe; I would guess a lot of that
is simply spinning the hard drives. I feel much better running that
than I did running my AMD Athlon box with it's 500 Watt power supply.

It does just fine for NAS work, web serving, CIFS, NFS, etc - but it
isn't something you'd use as a workstation, and it isn't something you'd
want to do a ton of stuff with. It works well for me.

Hopefully my helpfulness overcomes my snark (albeit good natured).

[1] No, not my image; not my hands; not my belt.Just an image from imgur
, that was easier to save and put somewhere else than to hope it stayed
put forever on imgur.

Adam

On 03/07/2011 01:18 PM, Shane R. Spencer wrote:
> Thats actually a really broad topic.. There are tons of low power systems out there that
> are capable of running Linux. Typically you have to narrow it down with what you want to
> do with them.
>
> Two network interfaces?
> HDMI out?
> What sort of GPU are you looking to use?
> etc...
>
> http://consortiumlibrary.org/lists/aklug/ <- not sure if this will help you at all
>
> On 03/07/2011 01:13 PM, Christopher Howard wrote:
>> A while back somebody mentioned a brand of tiny box sized computers with very low energy usage. Cannot find in archive. Remember looking at them online but cannot remember brand name. Looking for very effecient and portable computer for low demand web server.

Adam