[aklug] Re: OpenVPN

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Mon Mar 07 2011 - 10:19:39 AKST

On Sunday 06 March 2011, Jim Gribbin elucidated thus:
> I've been doing a little experimenting with VPNing into a server I
> have set up at home. I seem to have the basic setup working OK, but
> I've run into a snag.
>
> When I'm VPN'd into my home network, ALL network traffic to & from
> the client is routed through my home network.
>
> If I had a faster network connection at home, this wouldn't be such
> an issue, but my home network is 1.5M x 256K (Clearwire).
>
> This puts me in the position of being able to send stuff to my home
> network OK. I'm OK with stuff coming from my home network @ 256K.
>
> Is there any way to tell my client end to get my home network stuff
> from home and process other network traffic without going through the
> VPN?

For my work network, I have a script in if-up.d/ rewrites the routing
table if my wired interface is on the VPN (has a 172.x.x.x) address (I
have an external Aruba VPN box). All traffic for 172.x.x.x goes over
the VPN, all other traffic goes over the non-VPN intefrace (wireless,
in this case).

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com - Fairbanks, AK