[aklug] Grokking modprobe.conf

From: Kevin Miller <atftb2@alaska.net>
Date: Fri Feb 25 2011 - 09:18:12 AKST

I was reading the modprobe.conf man page and came across this, which I'm
not sure I quite understand:

[CODE]
install modulename command...
  This command instructs modprobe to run your command instead of
inserting the module in the kernel as normal. The command can be any
shell command: this allows you to do any kind of complex processing you
might wish. For example, if the module "fred" works better with the
module "barney" already installed (but it doesn't depend on it, so
modprobe won't automatically load it), you could say
   "install fred /sbin/modprobe barney; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install
    fred",
which would do what you wanted. Note the --ignore-install, which stops
the second modprobe from running the same install command again. See
also remove below.
[/CODE]

How does one parse the install line? Is it saying to install fred, then
barney? If so, why does it have to specify modprobe for barney but not
fred?

The second half of the command with the --ignore-install confuses me.
What do they mean by "second modprobe"? Are they referring to the call
to modprobe just before barney? Why would that re-call fred?

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska