[aklug] Re: DNS Root Failure?

From: James Zuelow <James_Zuelow@ci.juneau.ak.us>
Date: Mon Feb 14 2011 - 15:23:29 AKST

----Original Message----
From: aklug-bounce@aklug.org [mailto:aklug-bounce@aklug.org]
On Behalf Of Shane R. Spencer
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2011 3:16 PM
To: aklug@aklug.org
Subject: [aklug] Re: DNS Root Failure?

> On 02/14/2011 12:03 PM, Ted Rathkopf wrote:
>> I know the map linked just uses a generic "Anchorage, AK" buy I find
>> it amusing that the J server is shown as being between I and K
>> streets.=20
>>=20
>=20
> Especially when there is no J street.
>=20

Don't they keep the exact locations of root servers secret?

Probably there was a J street until they put the root server there.

Then they had to go back and revise old maps of Anchorage, retouch aerial p=
hotos. Sneaking into people's houses to edit the maps in old phone books w=
as probably a pain. (That's the real reason they like you to recycle those=
 things -- so they don't have to dig through the landfill looking for maps =
with a J street.)

The really expensive part was paying all the people to say "nah, there's ne=
ver been a J Street" when people used to remember it, and the people that l=
ived there.=