[aklug] Re: DNS Root Failure?

From: Scott A. Johnson <scott.a.johnson@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Feb 14 2011 - 11:32:35 AKST

I didn't realize Verisign stuck a J root server in Anchorage. Now I'm
curious - can anyone comment where the server is located?! GCI's
SADC, an ACS wire center, or.....?

I just tried to traceroute to see if I'd get the Anchorage box but
thanks to anycast I ended up in Palo Alto for both ipv4 and ipv6. :P

Scott

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 17:47, barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net> wrote:
> Quoting Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>:
>

>> Could you explain one point regarding the "anycast" functionality: Do
>> all the servers in an anycast cluster actually share the same IP
>> address? Or does a packet go to a separate "anycast" address and then
>> get re-addressed to go the closest server?
>
> Here is a clip about anycast:
>
> http://otrs.menandmice.com/otrs/public.pl?Action=PublicFAQ&CategoryID=15&ItemID=64
>
> If you click on the "J"'s of the map from the previous e-mail, you
> will see they have the same IP address.
>
> Mike B.

Scott A. Johnson
scott.a.johnson@gmail.com