[aklug] Seemingly random OSI-related questions

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Tue Feb 08 2011 - 00:08:37 AKST

A few seemingly random questions relating to the OSI model:

1) Is it pure coincidence that the OSI model happened to be developed by
the ISO? (Reverse acronym.)

2) Could someone explain a bit more clearly what exactly the
presentation layer is for? Do we use it today?

3) Let's say I rip out all the Ethernet cables in my apartment and
replace them with a wireless router. Which layers of the model (in my
network) will be affected by that decision? Just the physical? If the
data link as well, which sub-layers? (MAC, LLC?)

--
frigidcode.com
theologa.indicium.us