[aklug] Re: Transparent Compression

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Feb 02 2011 - 23:41:42 AKST

Stacker was where MS stole DoubleSpace (or whatever they called that) from. Stac Electronics received a judgment from MS of $120M for MS misappropriating the technology and MS got $13.6M back for Stac misappropriating some MS technology for preloading Stacker. MS subsequently appropriated Stac Electronics.

It was an early algorithm for data compression that could be implemented in hardware. It's the basis for the LZS compression used in the Cisco IOS stack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stac_Electronics

And it worked really well. It was how Colorado turned their 250MB tape drives into 500MB tape drives.

Jim G