[aklug] Re: Security issue

From: Shane Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Mon Jan 17 2011 - 21:27:29 AKST

On topic.. My SHA1 aware Via C3 can pump out an estimated (due to
context switching) half gigabit per second of rolling SHA1 sums thanks
to the padlock engine in it using OpenSSL directly.

Via Via website (haha) - Implementing the SHA-1 and SHA-256 variants
of secure hash, the VIA Padlock SHA engine can deliver real-time data
encryption peaking at 5 gigabits per second.

I think the person that wrote that needs to be hurt.. but it means
that a sha-1 sum for a reasonable encryption block size can be fetched
at tremendous speeds using a cheap processor most DIY firewalls use.

Poke a peek at the Soekris made boards that cuddle up to a really neat
and easily usable crypto accelerator. http://soekris.com/vpn1401.htm

I've tested those boards as an SSL frontend for several applications
and they work like a champ.

- Shane