[aklug] Re: Transparent Compression

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Mon Jan 17 2011 - 15:22:37 AKST

On 01/17/2011 03:12 PM, Christopher Howard wrote:
> Any of you guys messed around with compressed file systems? Especially
> FUSE ones like compFUSEd or fusecompress? I had a pretty good experience
> with encfs... was wondering if transparent compression was as reliable
> and well-developed as transparent encryption.

I've messed around with a lot of file systems on a lot of operating systems... Got one on
every port nowadays.

The fuse site lists off all the filesystems that support compression, must just plain
work. If you don't mind using a key/val database for one then you should check out lessfs
(recent conversation on #fossak about this) that attempts to dedupe dedupe (said twice for
rhythmic awesomeness) data.

- Shane