[aklug] Re: Home Media Server - Remote Linux Install

From: Jon Bradley <weatchu@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Jan 13 2011 - 18:47:55 AKST

Always like to share with understanding folks....

Just to say, all media, that that box serves out is on a N.A.S.
network attached storage. It used to be a on my server, but I just
didn't want the storage, and a possible, "I have to upgrade or fix it"
storage anymore, so I bought a Dlink DNS-321, which is a dual drive
NAS that can do mirrored raid, or copy the files at night....

Most of those little devices, will atleast do SAMBA (cifs), but even better=
 NFS.

whatever you do, do check out the boxeebox (http://www.boxee.tv) they
all will do say 'off box storage'

peace,
Jon

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 6:04 PM, Robbie Soares <akdrums@alaska.net> wrote:
> Thanks Jon:
>
> I have an old Dell Dual P3 that was a UAF Workstation (SCSI HDDs, EIDE Ca=
rd,
> very heavy very robust). =A0It has 512MB of RAM and the thing is a loud, =
old
> dinosaur. =A0I have had it running Ubuntu Linux for five or six years. =
=A0It ran
> Redhat before that. =A0I have been using it as a quasi domain controller/=
file
> server.
>
> I am trying to do something with more storage and a smaller footprint.
> These machines seem to fit that bill and consume less energy. =A0I would
> really like to stay with the whole file server idea and just use the Home
> theater system or Wii to access the media across the network. =A0I would =
like
> to RIP my DVD collection and play it across the network to my TVs.
>
> Like yourself, I have no broadcast television in my home. =A0I threw out =
the
> TVs four years ago. =A0Three years with absolutely no TV. =A0We have only=
 had
> new TVs with DVD players for the last year. =A0I really don't see the nee=
d to
> feed the cable TV or Dish Network people my hard earned cash.
>
> Thanks Again,
> Robbie

I am