[aklug] syslog-ng output to console

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Mon Jan 03 2011 - 22:31:02 AKST

I've been using syslog-ng for a few weeks now, and it's pretty cool. But
one thing is a little strange: By default, syslog-ng includes the
following lines:

destination messages { file("/var/log/messages"); };
destination console_all { file("/dev/tty12"); };
log { source(src); destination(messages); };
log { source(src); destination(console_all); };

In other words, by default all incoming messages are routed to console
tty12, which you can view by pressing ctrl-alt-F12, as well as to the
root-access-only /var/log/messages file. So it seems kind of silly to
store all log entries in a secure messages file on disk, but then make
them free for anyone to view by switching the virtual console 12.

In any case, I was wondering if there was a reason log messages needed
to be dumped to console, or if I could safely comment out that part of
the config file.

--
frigidcode.com
theologia.indicium.us