[aklug] Re: IPv6 routers and switches

From: Scott A. Johnson <scott.a.johnson@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Dec 23 2010 - 22:11:20 AKST

I started running my home network dual-stack about a year ago. The
firewall/router I'm using is a regular PC imaged with Vyatta. Go to
www.vyatta.org.
Then get a tunnel from Hurricane Electric (tunnelbroker.net). Vyatta
sells commercial versions of their software, but the "community
release" is free and is an easy setup. Burn the ISO, boot the PC, and
run some of their sample configs. If you have an experience
configuring Cisco, this isn't French and will be easy to understand.

Let me know if you need sample configs. As everyone else said, IPv6
is Layer ~3 so any devices lower than that on the OSI model - i.e.
layer 2 Ethernet switches - don't care what Layer 3 protocol you're
running.

Cheers,

Scott

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 20:21, Scott Carnahan <scott@ravenmoonart.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know a good IPv6 capable home router? I have a cisco E3000, but
> as far as I can tell it does not support the IPv6 standard (if it does let
> me know, I seem to have missed it.).
>
> Since I have time I was thinking of upgrading my in house network to one
> that was IPv6 if possible. Now that I have stabilized my domain to the point
> I am happy with it, I think this would be a good next step.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Scott

Scott A. Johnson
scott.a.johnson@gmail.com