[aklug] Re: architecture

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Tue Dec 21 2010 - 11:31:47 AKST

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010, Christopher Howard wrote:

> Some of you guys mentioned a hatred for x86. (By which I presume you also mean x86_64). What do you hate about it and why? Which architecture do you prefer and why? (Speak on the level of a guy who knows a bit about assembly code and CPUs but is not an expert.)

Because I am that lazy, I'm going to just link to a previous debate on
usenet several years ago:

   http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.aix/browse_thread/thread/7e98be1e04dce636/c765d4f2ed6d2b64?hl=en&q=POWER+MIPS+Itanium+Corliss#c765d4f2ed6d2b64

That, in a nutshell, is the foundation of my disdain for certain
architectures, and my, eh, unholy love affair with MIPS. ;-) Just like
there can be elegance in software, there's elegance to be found in the
hardware as well.

> Also, what other architectures can you buy if you just want to buy one PC or a small server box?

I've been surprised at the rise of choices on the PowerPC front, actually.
That said, you still can't beat x86 on price or the sheer breadth of
options. My expression of an opinion wasn't meant to dissuade anyone from
buying x86. Hell, I do.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die