[aklug] Friday Nigh Linux - more video

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Dec 20 2010 - 20:50:15 AKST

Another quiet evening. Fielder, Damien and myself.

I was doing some more tinkering w/ video stuff again. Got my hands on a Kodak Zi8, Kodak's version of a Flip. Does fairly well. Records in wvga, 720p @ 30 fps, 720p @ 60 fps, 1080i (I'm guessing @ 30 fps), & 5 MP stills. All the video is Quicktime (.MOV). Camera shows up as a digital camera/usb hard drive. Same basic directory structure as a regular digital camera.

I am, though, finding out just how far behind the times my Dell w/ a P4M @ 2.4 GHz is. It does not like to like to play any of the videos in quicktime format. Seems to be too much overhead for my laptop and it only does a couple of video frame changes in a 5 min. movie. Audio sounds good though.

Luckily, "ffmpg2theora" changes it to an .ogv file for me and that seems much easier to play. Only takes about 1/3 the room on the drive as well, but it can take a couple of minutes. Youtube seems to have no issues with it either.

Damien was looking for a little history on telecommunications protocols, so Fielder gave a little impromptu talk on it (having had a little background in that department).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gBXzZYoKiw

I think we can consider this Friday's session called off though. Day after Christmas and all ...

BTW Fielder. I did not make the video publicly available/findable. It needs to be shared. I realize this list is technically public, but I doubt it will go viral.

--
Jim Gribbin
Linux user #179129