[aklug] Re: Rsync file updating (Humor)

From: Greg Madden <gomadtroll@gci.net>
Date: Mon Dec 13 2010 - 18:44:34 AKST

On Sunday 05 December 2010 12:11:56 am Christopher Howard wrote:
> Question about rsync: say you are syncing local directory "localdir" to
> remotedir "remotedir". If a file in localdir is changed, but not deleted or
> moved, does rsync /delete/ the corresponding file in remotedir and
> /recreate/ it? (And, hence, create a new file with a new inode...) Or does
> it just /truncate/ the corresponding remote file and give it new data?
>
> Reason I ask: I created my own "poor man's" incremental-snapshot backup
> solution, using rsync, hard-links, and shifting directories, similiar to
> what is described here:
>
> http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/
>
> So far, it seems to be working. But for it to work, it would seem as though
> rsync must always create new files (rather than edit old ones), or the hard
> links in the older "snapshots" would get updated as well. Am I making
> sense?

I found this on the Debian list, a funny response, and helpful, to an issue.

"If you just quit the -b flag team, then you might want to come over to
the -a flag team. "-b" is for backup and "-a" is for archive. What's
the difference between a backup and an archive?, you might ask. Well,
the archive team has better jerseys.

For keeping a one to one copy of a file system, this rsync shortcut is
commonly thrown around:

    rsync -av --del /source/path /destination/path

Just an idea,

Phil"

--
Peace,