[aklug] Re: Strange hard linking

From: Kevin Miller <atftb2@alaska.net>
Date: Fri Nov 26 2010 - 16:00:21 AKST

On 11/26/2010 03:26 PM, Christopher Howard wrote:

> Original file was 644, owned by root:root. New file also was 644,
> owned by root:root.
>
> Hmm... So if I can't remove the inode (owned by root) how to I remove
> the pointer to the inode? There seems to be an "unlink" program on my
> box, but it doesn't do the job either.

You should be able to remove the /tmp entry as root.

Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inode for more details.

I think the salient point from that page is this:
"Files can have multiple names. If multiple names hard link to the same
inode then the names are equivalent. I.e., the first to be created has
no special status. This is unlike symbolic links, which depend on the
original name, not the inode (number)."

Kind of like looking at Denali from the north and the south. It looks
different depending on where you stand, but it's the same rock...

...Kevin

--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska