[aklug] Strange hard linking

From: Christopher Howard <cmhoward@frigidcode.com>
Date: Fri Nov 26 2010 - 14:24:23 AKST

So, I was messing around the other day, and found this rather wierd behavior in Linux:

First, I go root, and cd to some public directory. I create a file with some text in it (we'll call it file0) with the new file of course being own by root.

Next, I switch back to a regular user account. I cd to my /tmp directory, and use the ln command to create a new file (file1) in the /tmp directory that is a hard link to file0. The new file1, strangely enough, is not own by me, but is owned by root, although it does have "everyone" read permissions.

Then, I go root again, and I delete file0. I switch back to my regular user, and discover that file1 still exists, and is still owned by root. I cannot delete it with my regular user account.

So, in summary, as a non-root user, I have the ability to "create" (preserve?) files that I do not own and that I cannot delete.

--
Christopher Howard
frigidcode.com