[aklug] periodic LVM snapshots

From: Christopher Howard <cmhoward@frigidcode.com>
Date: Thu Nov 25 2010 - 17:02:17 AKST

I've used LVM for a long time but never snapshots. I want to start making periodic snapshots of my system LV so that I can roll back quickly if I install a bad package or delete an important config file or something like that. Probably a new snapshot every two weeks, or maybe once a month.

But I'm not clear from reading the manual pages: do I have to create a /new/ snapshot every time, and delete the old one? Or is there some command to sync (i.e., erase) a snapshot and have it start tracking changes afresh?

--
Christopher Howard
frigidcode.com