[aklug] Re: aklug Digest V9 #215

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Nov 22 2010 - 23:35:16 AKST

The display on my laptops can be a little flaky if I let my laptop sit in the car any length of time this time of year, then try to boot it up before it's warmed up a little. I don't recall my harddrives making extra noises though. Maybe it's just fan noise?

The harddrive grinding at that temperature bothers me more than the video issues. Most of the hard drives on WDs website seem to list an operating temperature range of 5C to 65C which puts the bottom at 41F. Assuming these numbers are typical across manufacturers, you should be OK at the temperatures you're talking.

You might want to make sure you're monitoring the drives w/ smartd.

--
Jim Gribbin
Linux user #179129