[aklug] Re: DNS TXT Record

From: Kevin Miller <atftb2@alaska.net>
Date: Fri Nov 19 2010 - 07:59:47 AKST

On 11/18/2010 09:41 PM, Christopher Howard wrote:
> My DNS provider allows me to set a TXT record for my zone. I was just curious: can I put whatever I want in that field? Googling indicated the field was originally meant to be a field with a human-readable message, but later on got used for other stuff.

I believe you can. Most commonly probably you'll see it used for SPF
records.

One thing to watch however is the length. Don't recall what it is, but
I remember reading that it's bit people. IIRC some DNS servers limit
the size to 512 bytes or something like that, unless specifically set
larger...

...Kevin

--
Kevin Miller