[aklug] Phoronix recently published an article regarding a ~200 lines Linux Kernel patch

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Nov 19 2010 - 00:49:17 AKST

...hat improves responsiveness under system strain.

anybody see this?

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/11/alternative-to-200-lines-kernel-patch.html

Tried it on my laptop, seems to make a difference.

I didn't have any actual benchmarks to try out, but I've been doing a little experimenting w/ video recording off a usb webcam lately. Actually recording video REALLY seems to take quite a bit of horsepower. The way my laptop was, I was to the point of trying to figure out recording from the command line and turning off X for the process.

I recently upgraded my laptop to a 2.4 GHz P4-M from the original 1.6 GHz. Under Cheese with the 1.6, I was getting about a 20 sec. freeze frame at 128 x 96. With the 2.4, I was getting iffy 320 x 240. With this patch alternative, it's getting pretty acceptable (noticeably better) 320 x 240.

The guy who worked this out works for RedHat and I'm guessing is using RH Enterprise Desktop. Fedora seems a little different in some of the directory structure. I used exactly the same procedure as recommended for Ubuntu.

--
Jim Gribbin
Linux user #179129