[aklug] Ever play with Arduino boards?

From: Jason McEachen <jason@brightshinyobject.com>
Date: Sat Nov 13 2010 - 14:38:59 AKST

What I'm looking to make are a pair of circuits:
     One circuit pulses an IR signal every few seconds. If it ever
_sees_ a pulse it plays an audio clip, lets say "Polo"
     The second circuit just sits watching for an IR pulse. If it gets
a pulse it plays an audio clip, lets say "Marco," and sends a pulse back
So the circuits would sit there quietly. Within a few seconds of being
pointed at each other one would say "Marco" and the other would reply "Polo"
If I pointed the first circuit at a mirror, it would keep saying "Polo"
every few seconds.

I've been meaning to play with these arduino things, but haven't had a
reason. This seems like a find project for one, and the Wave Shield
would let me play a wide variety of audio clips (which is a bonus over
just one pair of sound clips)

Mainly I'm interested in how to interact with shields, and if maybe I'm
"using the wrong hammer" or just missing a much simpler solution.

Please let me know if you'd be willing to answer a few questions while
I'm getting started, and maybe save me from making some classical newbie
mistakes.

Thanks,

--Jason