[aklug] Re: ubuntu staged install

From: Christopher Howard <cmhoward@frigidcode.com>
Date: Mon Nov 08 2010 - 10:23:06 AKST

On Sat, Nov 06, 2010 at 12:10:37PM -0800, barsalou wrote:
> Quoting "Shane R. Spencer" <shane@bogomip.com>:
>
> > debootstrap
> >
> > On 11/06/2010 08:32 AM, Christopher Howard wrote:
> >> ive got a system set up with layered raid 1, encryption, and lvm.
> >> gentoo is installed on one lv. is there a way i can put the system
> >> files for ubuntu on another lv without actually installing
> >> bootloader or kernel?
> >>
> >> prefer not to go vm route in this case.
>
> I could be wrong, but I thought grub2 could handle an lv as a root partition.
>
> Here is a link to an Ubuntu version of what I think you are trying to
> accomplish:
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EncryptedFilesystemLVMHowto
>
> Let us know how this works out for you.
>
> Mike B.

I've already set up the filesystem, actually, and setting up the kernel, initramfs, and bootloader I can handle on my own. What I was wondering was if you could install the Ubuntu system /without/ also having it install a kernel or install a boot loader.

In gentoo (where you do everything yourself) after partitioning you download a stage-3 tarball, which contains just all the Gentoo system files. You decompress that into the partition, chroot into it, and then you install whatever kernel and bootloader combination you want separately.

Geeky non-relevant side note: In my latest system, I actually put the bootloader, kernel, and initramfs on a CD-ROM (using mkisofs and cdrecord). Kind of cool to be able to boot into the system, then take the boot media out and hide it in my briefcase.

--
Christopher Howard
frigidcode.com