[aklug] Re: Repairing an NTFS volume in Linux

From: Michael Figley <michaelfigley@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Nov 04 2010 - 00:03:12 AKDT

--- On Wed, 11/3/10, Tim Gibney <timgibney76@gmail.com> wrote:
> I bought a new desktop in which I
> found out that the 2 partitions that came
> imaged on the hard drive were in fact part of a logical
> volume. I found out
> the hardware way when I installed Fedora 14 on it and uses
> the shrink
> partition feature.
> Windows can't boot up from it and the startup repair
> utility complains that
> my volume is corrupt. Is there a way to fix this under
> Linux?

Good luck!

JFFR,

I've been using fsarchiver (via SRCD 1.55-beta9).

It can backup partitions in a snap!

faster and smaller than partimage, et. al.

Boot from CD, mount your target: NFS server, USB drive, 2nd hard drive,

or whatever, then, use fsarchiver to create a logical image of 1+

partitions (saved in one file).

Here's the best part:

fsarchiver can *restore* the image to a *smaller* partition
than the original ( assuming original was not full )

The docs say not production ready tho'

I've been thru several NTFS+ext4/3 save/restore cycles and have
not detected any problems.

( After trying every other open source imaging solution i could find,
fsarchiver fit my bill )

I'll probably never use dd again!

Cheers!