[aklug] Re: (ana)cron & Linux Counter update script

From: Damien Hull <damien@linuxninjas.tv>
Date: Thu Oct 28 2010 - 18:43:24 AKDT

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was checking on my entries on the Linux Counter site and realized that
> even though I have it set up in cron for a weekly update, my machine hasn't
> been updated in about 2 months.
>
> I poked into it and realized that it was set up to update, using cron, @
> 6:30 Saturday mornings. Well, the machine is a laptop that isn't left on
> 24/7 and I don't remember the last time I was up @ 6:30 on Saturday.
>
> Obviously, I should be using Anacron. I'm not quite certain how to set this
> up using Anacron though.
>
> I've read that Anacron will 'catch up' on jobs that weren't done because
> the system wasn't up, but it's jobs are set up and run as root. I want the
> job run as a user. The Anacron scrips seem to be set up in
> '/etc/cron.hourly/', '/etc/cron.daily/', etc. and are regular scripts.
>
> How do I get this job to run as a USER job even though it's being run by
> and from root? Can I do it the same as a standard 'user' cron job and just
> put in line in a file that reads: 'jimg /home ... /machine-update -m'? as I
> would in cron, or is there more to it?
>
> --
> Jim Gribbin
>
> Linux user #179129

Take a look at fcron and fcrontab, which is part of fcron. Its suppose to be
a merge of anacron and something else. I haven't used it but I might give it
a go when I have some free time. Like you were saying, laptops aren't on all
the time.

   - http://fcron.free.fr/
   - http://fcron.free.fr/doc/en/fcrontab.1.html