[aklug] Re: Home Server software

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Oct 25 2010 - 14:09:36 AKDT

Amahi was originally intended as a Linux alternative to the 'Windows
Home Server'. It has grown to include some things useful for small
business. It has more 'toys' available than SME.

Amahi is only intended to be available to the local network. It has
things like media streamers, office apps (including directory). some
games, desktop backups, recipe database.

SME is intended to face the outside world and has things like a mail
server, ldap, firewall, proxy, etc. I think SME stands for Small Medium
Enterprise.

There is some overlap on some of the tools available on the 2 systems,
but they are set up to face the outside world on 1 and the local network
on the other.

--
Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>