[aklug] Re: 32 vs 64 bit

From: Mike Tibor <tibor@tibor.org>
Date: Sat Oct 23 2010 - 11:27:24 AKDT

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010, Greg Madden wrote:

> On Friday 22 October 2010 06:50:14 Christopher Howard wrote:
>
>> And I've been running 64-bit OS's happily, for several years now. In my
>> mind, 32-bit processors (along with single core chips) are legacy
>> technology. We should encourage development of more powerful 64-bit
>> software by running operating systems that actually are capable of running
>> them.
>
> I can't imagine working with single core, even though most apps are not multi
> threaded , running multiple apps, or even vm's are common.

This is funny. With the exception of my old Alphas which I ditched quite
awhile ago, 32 bit single core processors define my home network. :-) I
actually can't imagine wasting the money on a multi-core or 64 bit box
when everything I can even dream of running runs just fine on a 32 bit
single core box.

Do I like 64 bit OS's? Of course--I have lots of serious big iron at
work and I enjoy working with it. Do I need anything like that at home?
Not even remotely.