[aklug] Friday Night Linux

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Oct 23 2010 - 00:23:46 AKDT

6 showed up. Nobody had anything earthing shaking to accomplish, so we
played with Damien's new Kindle toy.

Figured out that it actually plays fairly nicely w/ Linux. Err, Linux
will play nicely w/ the Kindle is probably a more accurate way to phrase
that.

I have been using Caliber as an Ebook reader on my laptop. It has a
tendency to crash, but mostly when shutting down. It's crashes don't
seem to be particularly critical or hurt anything. It usually doesn't
even stop it from working. I usually only know it crashed because ABRT
tells me.

At any rate, we figured out it has a built in web-server that the
Kindle, and I suspect other like devices, can talk to and download books
from. It will also convert between several Ebook formats. In this case
we used it to convert the 'Linux from Scratch' book from PDF to .mobi.
The Kindle was able to 'read' the book just fine.

We did end up having to surf to <MyIpAddress>:8080. I think something in
my laptop's security settings was precluding us from using a
straightforward port 80. Will have to figure that out another day.

It shows a 'Caliber Themed' webpage on the Ebook reader and gives you a
selection list to choose a book from. I'm think Caliber could make a
useful addition to a Home or Small Office server. There are still some
of us who read a book occasionally, aren't there?

--
Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>