[aklug] Re: double-posting

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Thu Oct 21 2010 - 12:05:03 AKDT

On Thursday 21 October 2010, Jeremy Austin elucidated thus:
> > (hopefully the link survives the dreaded 3d equals munge...)=
>
> What is up with that? I imagine it's come up on-list before. It seems
> to be from specific mailers, though; I never see it on my own posts,
> which are usually via gmail.

It's because some mail clients send things via "quoted printable"
content type and Ecartis strips that header, and blindly pus in
a "content-type: text/plain" content type, thus message up the display.
It's the same reason why you sometimes see message on the list that
look like they are entirely base64. The mail client sent them as base64
with a proper content type, but Ecartis stripped that header, put
in "text/plain," thus causing the base64 data to be displayed, instead
of decoded.

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com - Fairbanks, AK