[aklug] Re: GCI, ond others, bandwith restrictions

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Thu Oct 21 2010 - 10:36:15 AKDT

On 10/21/2010 09:09 AM, Arthur Corliss wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Oct 2010, Jeremy Austin wrote:
>
>> I used to cache MS updates, but unfortunately can't remember why I
>> stopped. I remember it was a pain, though. Apple updates I am
>> definitely considering; they're fairly large, and our percentage of
>> Macs is only rising.
>
> If you ran into problems with MS updates I'd like to know what it was.
> Given the problems with MS to begin with, I think the last thing we want to
> do to the world is make it harder for them to plug all those holes. ;-)

Heh. One thing I noticed about Microsoft updates while working on a project called
MirrorPool was that they would use identical url names for different or updated packages.
 I have no idea why they would publish new information under the same hashed filename.

Ugh.

So in order to cache MS updates properly, you had to either get pushed new information or
query the head of the remote file every time you served it anyways.

- Shane