[aklug] Re: windoze 7 sucks

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Wed Oct 20 2010 - 14:43:14 AKDT

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010, jonr@destar.net wrote:

> Which toolset does this and does it also kerberize my services like
> ssh or do I have to configure each service to use kerberos?

If you want to get into details, we need to start with details. Many
applications do offer kerberos integration, but you may need to enable them.

First things first: if you want a single location to centralized account
management on then you need directory services. Are you running LDAP? Have
you enabled PAM to use LDAP on the boxes? The latest versions of MIT
Kerberos even allow you to store the principal keys, etc., in LDAP.

Are there going to be a few more steps than in Windows? Yes. But that's
because the UNIX mindset is least privileges first, you have enable the
integration, etc. But it is all there.

BTW, *this* kind of stuff is about centralized account management and
directory services. This isn't config management.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die